[T3] Heating in a Type 3

Please excuse my ignorance but in the absence of a Haynes manual (which I
have ordered) and without being able to ask the previous owner (who is on
holiday), could anybody please outline the basics of the Type 3 heating
system? I have just bought a 60 something notchback (Fritz) and have
realised that I don't know how to keep warm in the car. I have noticed two
turnable knobs on the dashboard which appear to direct the air onto the
windscreen but I haven't yet worked out precisely what to do with them, or
how to get hot air, or how to get air to come out of the foot vents under
the doors. I know in time I'll work it out but I was hoping somebody could
just give me a brief rundown of what should be happening. Damn British
weather's suddenly turned chilly!
Thanks a lot

Charlie