From: erich hildebrandt [mailto:erich201@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 1998 10:58 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] Type 3 to Type 1 Engine Swap

Alright, I need to settle this once & for all, as I've heard all sorts
of contradictory stories from self-styled experts. Can I drop a Type 1
engine in my Squareback or not.( I do know for fact that the opposite is
possible) Here's the deal; I would love to drop the stock single port
Type 1 I have in my Square so I can drive it untill I can afford to
build the proper engine. I have 2 complete T-3 pancakes ( 1 threw a rod,
the other doesn't hold oil very well, heads ignition, electrical &
exhaust are fine or new) a set of stock Solexs ( not rebuilt yet) a
Holley Bugspray & a spare engine cover that I don't mind hacking up.
What is the path of least resistance to driving a Type III again ? I am
definitly  ditching fuel injection as the wiring on this car is severely
screwed up. Who would you recomend in Mich or Ohio to do the wiring?
Thanks, Erich