[T3] Weird fuel line splitter thingamajig

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but reading the fuel pass messages
it has reminded me of a part that I took off one of my old cars that I
already sold.  When then fuel lines comes into the engine compartment my
fuel line would go into a 2 inch round T splitter.  The funny thing is that
the fuel lines goes through the spliitter, then to the pump, out of the
pump, then back through the splitter on the lower half of it, then to the
carbs....  Does anyone else have this or know what this is or for?

    Ted Ingram (64 notch)
                           (72 panel camper)