Re: still won't idle

jadney@vwtype3.org writes:

> Have you measured the system voltage at medium RPM?  The
> best thing to do is to have a friend measure the voltage across the
> battery when the engine is warm and the car is cruising down the
> highway.

i shall do this this w/end and report back.

> Are both the vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms on the dist
> working?

according to the simple tests in bentley, yes.

JMac writes:
> Try the Manifold Pressure Sensor.  It's the beastie that hangs
> bat-like off the inside upper left hand side of the engine compartment

i'd been following this thread, and have previously tried a (used)
replacement, but it seemed to make no difference.

Curt writes:
> Is the motor loud?  Your heads could be loose lowering compression and
> confusing the FI.  It happened to me once

not particularly; also, the head screws seemed fine last time i adjusted the
valves.

thanks everyone

sonny
(sorry for sending this to you by accident, jim)