easy :Re: [T3] Pictures of NOS industrial engine

> A nickel to whoever can identify the bizarre structure that is either
> coming off the top of the fan housing or is fitted to the oil breather
> location -- not sure from the pictures.

Easy:
That thing that can be seen with the hole in it, is the mounting plate
for the centrifugal rev governor.
Behind it (or in front if it would drive) is the governor, but it does
not look complete.
I donate the nickel to the list.

>         Note also the bizarre stock (industrial) exhaust plumbing... wild!

The plumbing is not bizarre, it just looks that way because the dampner
pipe and the tail pipe are lying on the muffler.

>         It *is* for sale... but what would you do with it?  I suppose it
> could be converted over to a sedan engine without too much trouble, but I
> suspect you'd need lots of bits such as tin & exhaust & heater boxes to
> make it correct for an automobile.  Wild!

I have something of a little VW industrial engine collection from
generators, pumps, harvesters,...
They are all new or like new, and I never paid more than $150.
They are cheap because the equipment they are attached to is always much
more expensive than the engine.
A fire pump costs 20000 german marks. Of that 4000 was for the engine.
When the pump dies, the engine is scraped with it.
I know a farming and fire equipment repair shop were I always pick up
the engines, they are always "left over". I go by the place every year
or so and just collect.
I do not yet have the type III engine, because it was rarely used and
never in fire equipment. I have the same engine in the upright version
thought. It powered a harvester.
I also have a new army surplus engine and I know of a couple of vw
powered snow plows on a military airport.

Keep your eyes open, they are out there.

Martin Peitz