Re: [T3] Boy am I about to make enemies!

Well, Phil, I see what you are saying, but I think it suggests you
have a low opinion of the motoring public.
My Father didn't buy his '59 model because of clever advertising,
but on the recommendation of Motor Sport Editor Bill Boddy, whose
writings about this under-rated adaptable and tough vehicle suited
his family's motoring needs and gave him more pleasure when driving
than many of the more exotic cars he experienced in connection with
his work.
How about low-revving long-lasting engine, excellent low-speed
torque, top speed = cruising speed, lack of corners and edges to
hold mud and prevent rusting out, superb traction on all surfaces,
heater (most cars in UK didn't have those as standard in the '50s),
low drag coefficient, air-cooling for fewer problems in cold
weather, rugged running gear, powerful braking, big wheels meaning
long lasting tyres and comfortable ride, light steering, easily
replaced fenders (bolted not welded), wide rear seat for vehicle
size, fold-down rear seat for extra capacity, low depreciation.

Some of these points also made the Kubel prized over the Jeep in the
North African Deserts during WW2.

As far as 'slow, noisy, and cramped' are concerned, they were not,
compared with similar classes of vehicle.  Top speeds may have been
higher in others (though not necessarily) but try cruising them at
that speed all day.  If you are comparing them with larger vehicles,
the comparison isn't valid anyway.

The other factors mentioned in VWs success (marketing, quality of
goods) just help sell an already good product.  Do you really think
Americans were taken in, zombie-like by the ads?  They just served
to highlight the advantages that came with VW ownership.  And that's
why we moved onto Type 3s when they became available and families
could afford a larger car.

Far from making enemies Phil, I think you will be showered with help
to persuade you that your views are wrong.  ;-)

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
www.hallvw.clara.net/