[T3] Rear Seat Stainer

I am in the middle of restoring my ' 67 VW Fasty and have to replace
the curved metal sheet behind the back seat (rear seat strainer).  This
metal sheet is one big piece of rust and I can literally put my hand
through it.  Would it be wise to cut this entire section out and have
this piece fabricated and welded back into place or what????  Any
 suggestions would be most appreciated.  The fasty is coming along
nice and will be a real show stopper when I am through with it......

Greg

' 63 VW Beetle
' 63 VW Notch
' 67 VW Fasty