Re: [T3] [Fwd: domed pistons]

John Gallagher wrote:
> Opened up the motor because of a broken plastic stem from the
> fuel pump had fallen in. Found original VW domed pistons. First time
> I've seen them so I want to get this thing fired up and check it out.
 John

I had a set of the Domed pistons in my original engine and had problems
with finding gas that had enough octane to run the car properly. The
compression on the domed pistons, I think, is 8.5 to 1. If you don't
shim the heads you may run into problems with knocking and pinging on
lower octanes. Even 94 octane from Sunoco gave me problems going up
hills. Just my 2 cents :)  Good luck!