RE: [T3] Deathrich

On 20 Nov 98, at 8:09, James MacNaughton wrote:

> The car was delivering a steady 21.2 mpg city (after my Vegas debacle, I
> haven't had a real chance to measure highway driving).  She ran along pretty
> well, except for the persisting rich condition (black smoke), a little oil
> consumption, and an occasional stumble.  The old girl just soldiered along.

This sounds fine, but I wonder if it is true.  If the car were
running rich, as you and all your symptoms agree, then the mileage
should be much worse.

> So, one night at a stoplight (the stumbling had gotten worse, but no more
> oil consumption, mileage was still fine) it stumbled, and stalled.  And
> thereafter would not idle.  I could (eventually) get it to run by feathering
> the gas pedal, but it was now smoking prodigiously, and really running like
> meat.  There are no knocks (I know well the sound of a T1 with a knock), no
> more pinging, no real measurable valve tap, no bangs, no excessive oil
> leakage.  I had just changed the oil again, and the dingaling at the VWGuru
> says there's fuel in my case (I'm on the road for business, hence my giving
> my baby's care to another), but the next day (before she went to the shop)
> it was fine.

If there is still no increase in oil consumption, then again this is
excessively rich operation.

> So, while the car was still home, I started diagnosing the problem myself.
> Started whipping out plugs, and they were *really* badly ganked up.  I
> figured, 'hell, problem solved.'  Except that it didn't.  I changed out the
> plugs for some new Bosch's, and no difference.  The only really odd thing
> was, it started right after putting plugs in, right away.  Threw off a
> really, really *huge* cloud of smoke, ran for approximately 20 seconds, and
> proceeded to run like meat again (no idle).

So the new plugs made a difference until they were quickly fouled by
the overly rich mixture.

> The part about the scored pistons I think is bullshit.  Seized ring, or
> whatever, sure.  She's got two low cylinders, but scored?

BS, I agree.  Measure the voltage across the battery with the engine
warm and running at about 1500-2000 rpm (very fast idle).  Let me
know what it is.

Were ALL the plugs equally gunked?  What is the compression on your
cylinders?  You could try disconnecting the electrical connection to
your cold start valve just to eliminate it as a possibility, although
I really don't think that is the problem.

Jim