RE: [T3] Deathrich

On 18 Nov 98, at 18:28, James MacNaughton wrote:

> I just talked to a really upright guy here in San Antonio.  If he's right,
> it's this gizmo on the left side of the engine compartment that has one
> electric lead, and one vaccuum lead running off the manifold (I didn't ever
> get the name of the gizmo).  He says it tells the ECU what kind of load the
> motor's under (more load, less vaccuum, more fuel); and that there's a neet
> little aneroid in the back that adjusts for altitude.  He says that it's not
> that likely to have failed, but might need replacement.

That's the Manifold Pressure Sensor (which actually senses vacuum.)
It MIGHT be bad, but if your problem is that the engine was running
too rich, there are a number of other possibilities.

BTW, I think you'll find that the MPS will cost well over $100, new.
So I would not be tempted to just stick one in as a test.  I have
good used ones here, and I use them as a last resort in testing.  I
have only ever needed ONE to replace a bad one--and that was on my
own car.  [Well, actually there was 1 more:  A 914 where the MPS sits
under the battery and battery acid ate through the diaphram, but I
classify that as abuse, not a product failure.]

I don't recall that you've actually given us much in symptoms,
however.  I think I just read something where you said it just
stopped.  This doesn't sound like ANY of the problems that have been
bandied about so far.

Can you give us any more symptoms?  Like what the gas mileage was
before it quit?  How did it quit?  How do the spark plugs look now?
Will it start at all now?  Have you replaced the plugs and did that
help?

Jim