Re: [T3] Brake Fluid

On 19 Nov 98, at 8:43, Fisher, Gary wrote:

> I remember a discussion about brake fluid some time back. I am needing
> to evacuate the brake fluid in my car, it is contaminated. How is this
> done? Do open valves and start pumping? What kind do I use DOT 3 or 4 or
> what?

Contaminated?  With what?  How do you know?  Either 3 or 4 will work,
but the 3 is cheaper.

> I needed to buy brake fluid back in the summer - I just picked some up
> at the FLAPS, I was not sure what to buy. I have added it to my car. My
> guess is it was different than the type I already had in the car - now I
> have problems. No Brakes with it full of fluid. I bleed them and several
> days later I am back to trying to stop in unconventional ways.

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere.  If you pull up your carpet
behind the pedals you will probably find that the floor is wet.  If
so, it is probably your brake fluid and your leak is a leaky master
cylinder or a rusted through brake line (there, next to/under your
gas pedal.)

Jim