RE: [T3] Boy am I about to make enemies!

James, you make a valid point.  We need to remember that cars made for
Europeans are made differently than how American cars are; I mean in the
utility/ergonomics/human sense.  The expression is a broad statement, not
pointing to every single vehicle made by whoever.

Americans got ego and it's represented in the early cars:  Big estates, huge
chrome bumpers and even bigger engines, all to go with a large, spacious
country.  Europeans are more subdued and focused on, well, it's hard for me
to verbalize...economy.  Innovation vs. innovation the European automotive
engineering community has progressed at a much quicker rate than the
Americans.  Our little T3 was the first production vehicle for the masses
with fuel injection.  I can still remember American car ads touting FI as a
selling point in the late '70s/early '80s when many Euro cars were already
FI and it was no big deal.  Differences in exterior design shows that the
Atlantic does more than separate our continents.

Looking at the American cars now I can see they are progressing well.  They
are slowly backing away from the big cars of the past and making more
economical boxes.  They are also making them more sportier, with improved
engine management, suspension designs and body stylings.  In the broad scope
of autos I see nothing better or worse about American or European (or Asian)
automobiles, each has its following, its place, to the tastes of the
individual.

If I had to make a sudden decision on an auto maker without getting my
choice of vehicle (it'll never happen, this is just an example), I would
pick American for a cruising ride and European for a sporty ride.

One of my favorite American cars:  My friend Marty had a '68 Chevy Camaro
Super Sport with a 3-something small block and a Rock Crusher tranny
(whatever the hell that is, it sounded cool and the throw was incredibly
small!).  Boy, that car had speed like nobody's business and the best set of
full hips (yes, like a female's) my eyes have ever gazed (Porsche 930 gets
the best European hips :)

   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/