RE: [T3] Oil filter instead of screen?

On 18 Nov 98, at 9:04, Sandin, Karl-Olov wrote:

> You say that its possible to install a external filter without grinding away
> any metal? You bring good news!
> But how is that done? For all I know there are (at least)  two critical
> points where the space is limited. First there is the pump cover with the
> oil-out pipe fitting, and then there is the point for the return pipe
> fitting into the oil galley. I have also understood that both points might
> require some grinding either in the fan housing or the rear engine mount
> bar.

Perhaps I spoke too quickly.  On 69-73 cars it is necessary to remove
metal from the crossbar in the region of the oil pump cover.  This
can be done without significantly weakening the crossbar.

If you use the right combination of right angle fittings like Berg
sells, plus some standard street Tees of the same size, it is
possible to avoid all metal removal of the fan housing.

> Would be really great if  that maneuver could be avoided. Who got the parts
> needed? Do you know if there exists any descriptions or photos/diagrams
> anywhere on the net  that could be helpful in this matter?

I have a machining drawing of the crossbar which shows exactly where
to remove metal for this application.  This will enable any machine
shop to do the necessary work for you.  I will send a copy to anyone
who is willing to send me $1 to cover my trouble and postage.  Or I
can do the machining for you here, if you like, for $30 plus return
shipping.

>From Sweden, I would guess that the drawing would be the way to go.
Unfortunatley it is only in inches, perhaps I need to update it into
dual units.

Jim