[T3] The Oil filter idea, continued...

Did some diving in the old arcive after all. Stumbled over a note written by
Toby Erkson back in february.
Forgive me Toby, I guess IĞm boring you to death with this diskussion...
(The mail? Seek on "oil filter" and look for the title " Long reply: Our
Fastback saga., (local copy), Feb 19 1998")

You are making thumbs down for the suggestion to attach the oil filter att
the cooler joint. My idea was to achieve a full-flow solution, not a by-pass
filter as earlier discussed this week. You are probably right in that oil
could be leaking backwards into the sump via the regulation or by-pass
valve. This is not good, because when starting up the engine it will take a
l-o-o-ng while to build up any oil pressure, as the filter is empty. Not
good for your bearings...
BUT! There are oil filters that have a built-in valve function to prevent
backwards draining of the filter.
(This is a problem on many other engines than VW. I once had a Opel which
behavied exactly like this, because it happened to have the wrong type of
filter.)
Do you think my idea will work if such a "back-leak-proof" filter is used?
There is a possibility that the load on the pump will be too high, because
of pressure build-up and higher resistance when a filter is attached that
long away from the pump (more joints to pass, longer way for the oil to
travel etc).

What do you say?

Bye for now...
		         ,,,,