RE: [T3] Easy-Off

 they used Easy-Off oven cleaner. I am
>a bit sceptical about this. I've used various car products including Gunk,
>but they don't work very well on that thick stuff. Even after most of it
>has been scraped off.

I was struggling with this same question while getting ready to clean the
block in preparation for my first engine rebuild.  What I realized was that
I never thought twice about how I was going to get my oily clothes clean.
I just put some extra laundry soap in the wash machine.  Wait a minute!  If
laundry soap cleans oil and grease from clothes so well, then why not use
it on the engine?  I tried it on small parts of different types of metal
(including the block) and found that with some warm water, it worked
wonderfully.  I have since used it to clean meticulously three complete
engines -- including the inside of the block to a point that I would gladly
eat a porkchop dinner from those once grimy surfaces.  Since laundry soap
is water soluable, it cleans up quickly (with water) and does not leave
toxic grime anywhere you use it.

I washed my engines in the bathtub (disassembled, of course) using the
laundry soap.  My favorites?  Tide and Vizir!

Good luck,

John
Zagreb, Croatia