RE: [T3] Gauging metal/thinkness

On 12 Nov 98, at 8:19, James MacNaughton wrote:

> Secondly, I have been told that starting in the early 70's to just about
> 1980, as a cost-cutting effort (flagging sales because of rapidly
> disheartening air-cooled buyers 8^) ), European car makers began buying
> cheaper grade steel; 'seconds,' if you will.
>
> Any truth to the lower grade steel thing?

I think there is probably little support for the second class steel
question.  Changes in paint and metal thickness are much more likely
to be responsible.  The red herring of the inferiority of recycled
materials continues to dominate some people's thinking, but steel
recycles perfectly, and in fact I think ALL our steel contains some
fraction of recycled metal.

I believe all the high temp melting point materials recycle well:
steel, copper, alum, glass.  The lower temp materials like plastics
are more difficult.  It's largely a question of what happens to the
trash that comes with the old stuff.  Paper labels on steel cans are
long gone before the steel melts, but they are still intact at when
the plastics melt.

Jim