Re: [T3] Engine ID

RobyB=> U0357148
     => U5037830
=>
=> What I need to know is how to determine the year, fuel system (1 or 2
=> carbs or FI), and whether the block mates to a 4- spd or A/T.

According to my references, the first number is for a late-'70 engine.
The second would be a '72 US-smog-control engine. Both are probably FI,
but I have no specific info on that other than the U code. The first
engine could have been either. Did you mean to say that you have both
these numbers on the same engine?

How it's done: Check the manual. I have here a booklet compiled
by the German Air-Sucker Society (GASS) and the Muir book, which agree.
My Haynes is out of reach, but I believe the info's also in there as
well as in the Bentley.

To get the transmission number you'll have to send your chassis number
to VW and ask for the birth certificate.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ