[T3]

After getting over the idea that I needed a "real" car, I recently bought
a 1963 Notchback.  It has a '69 Type III front end and a '70 Type I IRS
transaxle.  The engine was rebuilt to 16ooCC, and is designated "U" for
fuel injection, but it is now carburated.  Its a nice car that
unfortunately has been neglected for a couple of years

I bought the car with intentions of doing all the work I could myself.  So
I got myself a Haynes manual and set about tuning it up.  All went well
until I got to the carbs.  The volume control screw had little or no
effect on the mixture.  In fact the engine ran best with it screwed all
the way in, and the best isn't all that good.  Then on the right side of
the right carb I felt gas.  I can't tell whether its leaking from the carb
itself, or from where it joins the manifold, or wherever else it might be
coming from.

I think these observations explain the black smoke when I rev the engine,
and the temperamental throttle response.

So:  Should I attempt to rebuild the carbs?  Are Solexes difficult for
someone with no carb rebuilding experience?  Should I pay a real mechanic
to do it?  Will this solve my problem and make the engine run as it
should?

I would greatly appreciate your collective input and am really glad to be
on the list.

Brian