[T3] Auto Trans Knob, Noises..

Since the shifter knob on my AutoTran Square was in poor shape,
  I figured I'd put in a replacement.  I found a nice one and
  when I went to install it, it was threaded AND it was of a
  smaller diameter than the shifter lever.  The shifter lever
  doesn't even have threads, but rather it has vertical splines
  on it for a "push on" type of knob.  Where can you get a
  shifter knob for one of these AutoTrans ones, and what did
  the original look like?  The beat up one is an old wooden
  one with the VW logo on it.

  Also, I was drivng home last night about 30 mph and I heard
  this sound coming out of the right side of the car. Like
  something was rubbing. Just going straight ahead, no turns
  and as you slow down the frequency of the noise slows down;
  gets faster as you increase speed.  It sounds like a bicycle
  wheel rim that has been bent in one section only hitting the
  fork on occasion. It's kind of hard driving and having your
  head hanging out the passenger window to hear where it's
  coming from.  Anybody else experience this?

   Wheels are stock VW, tires are Dunlop 165SR15's all the way
  around and the suspension is of stock ride height.

  Thanks again!

  Allen
  70' Squareback