[T3] '70 squareback starting problem

Just bought my first VW two days ago, a 1970 type 3
Squareback. The owner came down with Parkinson's about 7
years ago (she's my next door neighbor, 82 years old) and
hasn't drove it much in the last four years. Last time she
tried to start it was 3 months ago and she had to have it
towed cause it wouldn't start. The shop replaced some part
of the fuel line (I'm not sure what section) and drove it
back and parked it. Original owner, all the repair receipts,
etc., the point being it was meticulously maintained (if I
had the total for all the repair receipts she put into it
I'd be wealthy [too]), so we can probably limit the problem
to something stemming from lack of use.

I've tried to start it but it won't fire (it turns over fine
and I've checked the spark at the distributor and it's
fine). Repair receipts indicate a pattern of fuel line hose
and injector replacements in the last four years coinciding
with the period in which the car hasn't been driven much.
>From what I've gleaned from the newsgroups and FAQ's, not
regularly driving these fuel injected engines can lead to
problems. This is consistent with the before mentioned
starting problem (turning over but not firing, i.e. a fuel
problem).

My guess is it's a problem with the fuel injection system
stemming from not being run everyday. I want to do as much
of the repair and maintenance myself as I can. My question
is, does anyone know how to diagnose this particular problem
and what can I do as far as testing various components of
the fuel system to isolate the component(s) that may have
been compromised by being parked for so long. Fuel pump?
Fuel filter? Injectors? Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Michael in DC, newbie wannabe