RE: [T3] 65 Fastback VIN#

I'd say it was a '66.

The only problems you'll run into with a 6-volt system are fairly minor.
Back in the day, I drove a lot of old, Detroit steel that was 6-volt, so
I've got experience ('53 Mercury, '51 Packard (boring actually, the Merc was
better), '51 Hudson (really neat)).  Be careful jump starting; if you leave
the leads on too long from a 12-v car, you can start to do damage to your
electrical system (generator, wires, fuses).  The lights *can* be dimmer,
but that's usually a function of improper connections and ground; if you say
the lights are all good, then don't worry about that.

Modern stereos, though.  That could be a problem.  Back in the day (HS &
College 20+ years ago), there weren't any quality 12v converters.  I mounted
an FM receiver and converter in the glove box of my Mercury, but it didn't
work that well.  Things may have changed since the stone ages, I don't know.
6v always worked fine for me, but it is a little weak in the colder
climates.  There were several days when my two 6v'ers wouldn't go, and I had
to fall back on my dreadfully mundane (but 12v) 65 Pontiac (I grew up in
rural NJ).  The 6v's just couldn't crank down around 15 degrees f.

They do sell 12v conversion systems for T1's, and I know a couple of guys in
Phoenix with vintage beetles that swear by the stuff (they've also got the
Porsche 911 doghouses and alternators, but hey).

Your call, but I think as long as you don't live somewhere dreadfully cold,
or if you won't be driving your baby in the winter, leave the car stock.