[T3] Silicone Brake Fluid, continued

On 2 Nov 98, at 21:27, Dave Hall wrote:

> A cm or two of DOT 5 might keep out moisture, maybe?  Or perhaps the
> constant motion would mix it anyway.

I have thought about this, but the tests I have done indicate that
water vapour passes rather freely through the DoT-5.  I placed a drop
of water at the bottom of a test tube filled with DoT-5; the water
evaproated.

So I don't think this idea will work.  Your DoT-3/4 will still become
waterlogged and corrosive, plus the worst place where most of the
damage is done is at the points where there are seals between the
brake fluid and air.  The slight film of fluid left there absorbs
moisture and that's where the MC, wheel cylinders, and calipers all
suffer the most damage.

Jim

Jim