Re: 6v starter solenoid bypass relay

I have one of these setups on my  '71.  The only problem I've had was
the original cheap relay got loose from sitting on the transaxle cover
and the center coil rivet got loose.  Since this grounded the coil, I

Thanks for the suggestions.

>this wahat you mean by hard starting, failure to turn the engine over?

No, it turns over fine, just takes some cranking before it fires up.  I
thought maybe the carbs needed rebuilding but the local shop said they were
cool and the chokes checked out good too.  I never thought anything of it,
just assumed all old 6-volt systems were like that until I fired up my Bus
for the first time - it start immediately and the points, cap, rotor, etc.
were like 10 years old and all dusty.

I think the relay you are describing is something else, though.  There is no
original relay on my Square.

Everett Barnes             The Volkswagen Type II and III Experience
everettb@prodigy.net          http://ebus.simplenet.com/Volkswagen