Re: Seat Restoration Questions!

Allen Moore wrote:

> Dear Dana:
>
>    My seats are from a 1970 Squareback.
>
>    I already have the burlap, new seat pads (back and bottom) and some additional padding
>    to make the seats a bit "softer".
>
>    Thanks for the tips!  You are right, once I took that "horsehair" padding out, I  had dust
>    all over the place!  I have heard of seats that were destroyed, but these were exceptionally
>    bad!  Looks like a dog or something ate the side of the passenger seat! However, the seat
>    frames are in perfect shape, not even rusted.  I will spray the seat frame down with some
>    Rust-O-Leum to make sure.
>
>    OK, got the buttons off,  how do I get them back on the new seat covers?  poke a hole thru
>    the new seatcovers after they are installed and then thread the string or wire?
>
>    Til Later>
>     Allen Moore
>     70' Squareback

Allen

The old headrest padding is usually reinstalled so once the new
upolstery is installed you should be able to find the dimples left in
the headrest foam under the material. After you locate the dimples you
make a small hole in the front and back to put the wire or string
through. Scarry isn't it? I have only done the ones that use the wire
and basically you would install the front button on the wire and push
the wire through the seat. While compressing the foam in the seat to
gain a little space,(you may want to find yourself a good lookin helper
at this point) you then hook the rear button onto the wire and let go.

Good Luck
Dana