Re: Seat Restoration Questions!

Allen Moore wrote:

> Hello All:

What year are you seats?????

>  2.  I was going to remove the seatback from the seat bottom. However I
> noticed
>       that the seat back adjustment knob on one side and the round
> plastic thingy
>      on the opposite side appears to be held on with a set screw. This
> set screw
>      doesn't have a slot on both sides for a screwdriver, only on one
> side.  It is
>      like a 359 degree circle.  Only my smallest blade screwdriver (like
> sewing machine
>      size) will fit in there.  But it doesn't have enough torque to turn
> the screw.  This
>      it true on both sides.  What does one use to remove these
> setscrews?

The pins that hold the knob and "small round plastic thingy" are not set
screws but pins that need to be pushed out using a punch and small
hammer. Push them out enough until you can grab onto the pin with a pair
of Pliers (or something) and then pull them out the rest of the way.

>  3. And lastly, I have two buttons on the original seatcovers that are
> held in place
>      by a string that holds on the two more buttons on the opposing
> seatback side.
>     If I cut the string that holds them in, how do I get them threaded
> in again? These
>     are the two trim buttoms that are located on the seatback approx.
> where the
>     headrest joins the rest of the seatback.

The buttons are held in place by a string or metal wire that goes from
the button in the back to the button in the front. The ones that I took
apart had the wire type and there was a hook fastened on each end of the
wire that went into the hole on the back of the buttons. These could be
removed by pushing in on the upolstery around the button and then
sliding the hook out of the button. If yours has string and you have to
cut it to get the buttons off you might want to fashion a couple of the
wire things to put them back.

>   Boy that horsehair sure creates a lot of dust!

Get new pads for your seat bottoms or the horsehair will end up in you
carpet under your seat.

>   A funny thing here, on the seat bottom between the springs and the
> horsehair
>   there was a Micky Mouse and a Teddy Bear T-shirt stuck in there.  So I
> assumed
>   the seat was redone once already.

Use burlap between the springs and the new pads to keep the springs from
wearing through the new pads.

>  Allen, While I'm certainly no expert, I have done the seats in my Bug and Notch. On my 65 Notch I also had to remove the seat Bottoms from the seat frame by bending over some metal tabs.

Good Luck

Dana Hall
65 Notch Sunroof
77 Beetle