RE: Hokay, how about updating the.....

A filter's job is to remove foreign matter and hold it.  Once it becomes
saturated, i.e. can no longer meet filtering requirements, it must be
replaced.
Thus, an oil filter really isn't a permanent filter.  Yes, it's better, but
the
oil still must be replaced, actually, it must be recycled!  So, for convince
sake, a fiber filter is better.  Fiber filters don't spill oil all over when
the
car is in an unnatural position (like in an accident).  I know K&N filters
can
be cleaned, reoiled, and reused thus they make a very good filter for those
who
don't make it to town very often.  Depending upon the situation each
filtering
system has its place.

Wow, I remember when my baby had the stock oil filter...I can't remember
when my
dad, if ever, replaced the filter oil (himself, I'm sure the shop did it).
How
can one tell when the oil needs to be replaced?  Is there any way to measure
its
density as an indicator or by how deep the sludge on the bottom is? :)
   Toby Erkson
   '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member