Re: Imagine you have a type III, and you need a NEW ENGINE...

Douglas_Brashear@mail.amsinc.com wrote:

> ...where would you buy it?
>
> I don't have time to assemble my own engine for my '69 squareback, so I
> need to know what people's experiences are with the various mail order
> places.  I know some people hate GEX, and others love 'em.  I've heard of a
> supplier named AGP (or something like that) that sells engines to shops and
> VW parts places, and that they're supposed to be pretty good.  Any other
> ideas?
>
> Basically I need a type III longblock with FI heads (to match the 69 FI
> system I'll transfer from my current engine).  I'd like it to be a new
> case, or a used case on its first rebuild...I want to use a C/W crank, new
> heads, new oil pump, new pistons and cylinders and bearings (obviously),
> and I guess a stock cam.  I'm not looking for a screamer, just a strong
> stock unit.  Any ideas?
>
> Many thanks in advance!
>
> -Doug
> 74 super (sold!)
> 69 auto FI squareback
> 73 FI fastback
> douglas_brashear@mail.amsinc.com
Auto Zone sells rebuilt long blocks (exchange) for about $1200. It come
with a 1 year warranty and unlimited mileage. I have not used any of
their VW engines but I did put one in one in my Astro Van and have had
no troubles in the last two years.

Dana Hall