RE: Exhaust(ing) Advice needed and other

John,
Cool, looks like we'll both finally have a 'back under our butts (I'm
installing
my five-speed this weekend).  About the GB full flow oil filter, yes, you
can do
it with the engine in the car.  I know because my mechanic did it to my baby
and
the engine never left the body.  If you can get the engine out of the car
and on
an engine stand that would be preferred, however.  And believe me, the late
model Type III drivetrain is easy to remove/install (at least a carbed
engine :)

The GB kit comes with instructions on how to install it.  Basically, you
pressurize the engine case with compressed air (so you do need an air
compressor) so when you drill/tap the case the metal filings come spitting
out.
You will also need to remove the entire fan shrouding and housing, including
the
disbursing fan (the big squirrel-cage fan, which needs a puller to remove).
Since you have to remove the engine carrier be sure to have the engine
supported
as well.

Now, mounting the filter is another dilemma.  See my web page for an idea.
will also have new pictures of my filter location where I use a bracket.  My
new
location will actually put it a little closer to the #4 exhaust header but I
will put an air deflector/heat shield between the filter and exhaust to
protect
the filter from absorbing any heat.  Another reason why I'm putting it where
it
is is to keep the braided oil lines from abrading on engine parts.
   Toby Erkson
   '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member