RE: Shocks, valves, and RPM's

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Erkson, Toby wrote:

> 1. Shocks are easy to replace with basic tools.  Jackstands are a must, of
> course.

And fun, too..:)

> 2. Black smoke is oil, not gas.  Your troubles have just changed...

Really now?  I've never had an oil burner burn black...Now, BLUE, on the
other hand...:)  Sounds more like excessivly rich, to me...:)  (the smoke
from running rich is black...which is why your tailpipes turn black...:)
(the insides of 'em...it's safer to run stoich toward rich, then stoich
toward lean...the lean'll overheat you fast as anything...:)
(and over rich will wash the oil off your cylinder walls, and cause
premature wear on the rings......;/  )

> 3 >Finally, I saw in a magazine that you can see how high your rpm is by
> >connecting it to the carb and using a tach dwell meter.  What
> >part of the carb do you hook the clamps to?

Acctually, you hook the tach/dwell meter (or any other tachometer) to the
negative side of the coil (the same wire that runs to points in the
distributer..

The black clamp goes to ground....:)

later...david

--
David Raistrick  '69 Westy-Itchigo			keen@finally.atlasta.net
  		 '66 SO-44 Westy (coming soon!)		in Augusta Ga