RE: ummm... oops... it's the tranny...

I talked with Clyde Berg as to why my five-speed tranny, which is meant for
TYPE 3, has the hole in the hockey stick 180 wrong.  He said they use a
hockey
stick from a Type.  I told him I was disappointed in the lack of detail
since he
and the staff knew very well the five-speed kit was for a Type 3 and that
next
time they should drill a hole on the opposite side.

So, for Greg...
Last night I flopped the coupler 180.  Made a 90-degree angle pin to slip
into
the set screw hole so I could screw it in with my fingers.  Figure I'm gonna
have to drill about a 1" hole into the tunnel so I can tighten it from
above.
I'll use a generic hole plug (easily found at auto part stores) to seal it.

Also, an important note:  The engine needs the tranny to support it!  What
was
supposed to be a simple, 1-hour job of putting the engine back into my baby
became a 6-hours or so job.  After I removed my engine cradle my engine
flopped
forward, twisting in its engine mounts.  AAAAAHH!  Up goes the cradle to
support
the engine.  Crap!  Good thing I still had the old tranny.  In order to
lighten
the tranny I removed the differential and tried to remove the gear cluster
but
couldn't.  I then lowered the engine, slid the tranny onto my forearms, then
some how was able to leverage it onto the engine studs and mount it to the
engine.  Quickly bolted it down then remounted the engine AND tranny back
into
the car.  Okay, now she's ready for transport.
   Toby Erkson
   '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member