Baleful me

Is it "bail" or "bale"?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Unencumbered by the thought process (as Click & Clack would say),
I assumed that, in reference  to the metal piece that snugs up
your valve cover,  the more proper form of the word was "bale".
Steve's scholarly , however, raised doubts in my mind, so...off to
the dictionary.

The Random House Dictionary of the English Language (unabridged)
gives four distinctly different meanings of the word "BAIL".  The
second of these is "a semicircular handle of a kettle or pail."  And
"a hooplike support ..as for a Conestoga wagon."  Or, "a metal band
or bar [for] platen of typewriter..."

 "BALE" is primarily the package or large bundle which is prepared
for shipping, storage or sale.  Also, it is a group of turtles.

So, there you have it.  If you think of your VW as a kettle, a pail,
a Conestoga wagon, or a typewriter platen, then the word is "BAIL."
If you regard your T3 as a bunch of turtles, then it is "BALE."

I think I will bail (bale?) out on this discussion.

Semantically yours,

Phil
dillard@suu.edu