A Close Call/I'm A Lucky Guy

*******WARNING*************WARNING***********WARNING*******************

TO ALL OF THE READING AUDIENCE, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.  I HAVE MANY
YEARS OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE AS A PROFESSIONAL IDIOT!  AND THIS
SHOULD ONLY BE TRIED BY SOMEONE WITH MY EXPERIENCE.

Hello All,

I own a residential/commercial cleaning service.  I was out cleaning
offices tonight when I started to lose power on the freeway.  All these
horrible causes start going through my mind.  Then I start to smell
gasoline and the smell is getting stronger and stronger.  I hope in my
mind it is only a leaking hose.  I know at that point I should have
pulled over immediately to check out the problem.  But I din't want to
get stuck on the freeway, and I was only a couple miles from my next
office to clean.  If I get stuck, I know I can leave it there safely
overnight until I could fix the problem.

   I made it safely (read: a fire didn't erupt) to my next office.  Go
around back and remove the engine cover/lid.  I see gas vapors rising
from the engine.  This makes me nervous, so I decide to light a
cigarette to calm my nerves----Just Kidding.  I remove the air cleaner
(by the way, I drive a '67 Square with stock dual carbs) and see some
dampness around the left carb. I now discover the problem: where the
fuel line comes into the carb there is some kind of reservoir.  I know
this is a bad description, but I'm a Muir Idiot.  There is a brass 13mm
plug at the bottom of this reservoir I'm guessing to drain it.  Well,
that brass plug had fallen out and gas was leaking out, naturally.  I
have no idea why this would happen, I have never messed with it.
Replaced it and all is well.

I'm a lucky guy, my car could have been toast.

Charlie
'67 square