RE: Hot oil Pressure Problems.

Geez, get a new shop!

Okay, you are right, you don't put an oil cooler above the tranny because of
the
heat issue and lack of circulating air (in the amount required for a
cooler).
But what I'd like to know is if you still have your STOCK oil cooler install
ALSO?  You had better have a stock cooler installed.  The other oil cooler
is
supposed to be your secondary one AND it should be in the loop only when the
thermostat allows oil to flow.  What, no thermostat?  Better get one
otherwise
one cold morning you will get a thick surge of oil and it could blow your
secondary cooler.  Besides, you don't want to over cool the oil as the
engine
does need to run at a minimal temperature to function as engineered.

Putting the secondary up front is quite the distance! but Porsches have been
doing it for some time.  Just make sure you drain ALL the oil, from the
secondary and both hoses, at every oil change.

If your engine is done being broken in and still very low in miles, say <
2000K,
then my recommendation is to let pure synthetic oil flow through its veins.
My
preference is Mobil 1 (it's in both of my cars).  I have found it to help
with
my cooling issues.  But, it's up to you...conventional oil is still just as
good
as long as you use a quality oil (my preference in the past was Castrol).

Another problem that is affecting your cooling is the trannies gearing.  I
emphasize that the gearing for a Type III should not be altered as it really
affects the cooling characteristics for the engine.  I am willing to bet
that
the major problem with your engine's cooling is due to the altered fourth
gear.
I feel we are at risk more than the upright engines in that we don't have
the
(easy) ability to change our pulley diameters or install a different type of
fan
for cooling our engines.

And check those oil plungers like that dude said.  This is something you can
do
yourself and it doesn't require draining the oil (though a little will drip
out).  The Major Three shop manuals (Bentley, Haynes and Idiot's Guide) tell
how
to do this and what to look for.  It could be that one of the plungers is
scored
(marked up, scratched) and is catching or binding in its tube.  This will,
of
course, impede its function and cause oil pressure and oil cooling problems.

It's very cheap to fix yourself so be sure to check this out.

   Toby Erkson
   '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member

I'm