Re: How do I connect this lamp then?

How is this lamp connected then? Does it get power from a nearby
live? If so where from? Or is it wired right into the fusebox? The
latter  would mean that the Variant had to have a different main
wiring loom than the other models. Is this so? I haven't had a look
at the partslist yet to confirm this so I might be wrong in assuming
so.

I assumed it was connected to the live wire from the frontward interior
light, with a wire running along the edge of the headliner.

I found no information on the wiring in any of my books - they all show the
wire wired to a switch and to either the left (1500 models - '65 and
earlier) or right (1600 models - '66) middle taillight.  This would result
in at least the parking lights having to be on and must be the
Notch/Fastback layout as you discussed earlier.

Later,
Everett Barnes             The Volkswagen Type II and III Experience
ebus@ebus.simplenet.com       http://ebus.simplenet.com/Volkswagen