How do I connect this lamp then?

Hello again

Thank you all for responding to my question regarding the rear lamp
switch (or rather the lack thereof) on the Variant.

>From what you wrote to me I understand that the lamp has a live
wire hooked up to it all the time and switch is on the lamp itself
and is operated manualy. All's well so far.

Looking up the wiring diagrams in the 1965 - 1967 VW Workshop Manual,
has shown a wire hooked up to the LH tial light and a switch
somewhere on the door hinge. It also revealed  that the said
diagram is actualy for a 1600TL - Fastback in other words. Silly me
for not noticing this before. No mention is made of a different
arrangement on the Variant/Squareback.

How is this lamp connected then? Does it get power from a nearby
live? If so where from? Or is it wired right into the fusebox? The
latter  would mean that the Variant had to have a different main
wiring loom than the other models. Is this so? I haven't had a look
at the partslist yet to confirm this so I might be wrong in assuming
so.

Your input will be appreciated

Regards

Adriaan Loedolff