Hot oil Pressure Problems.

In my '66 square, I have a 1914 and a super street trans with the lower
geared fourth gear for lower highway RPM's, with an external oil filter
and remote oil cooler, the "quick cool" kind.Shortly after I had got the
car back from the engine shop who put all this neat stuff in, I noticed
that my oil pressure light would go on  after a fairly long(2o miles or
longer) drive at the stop lights when the engine was below 1200 rpm. So,
to have more knowledge of what was going on in the car, I put in a oil
press gauge, a cyl head gauge, and an oil temp gauge.  After doing this,
I noticed that I had 65psi at startup, 30-35psi driving around town at
moderate rpm's, and about 2psi at the light after a good haul. After a
long drive, 40 miles or more, I barely made the needle move on the
pressure gauge, until I revved the engine up past 1500-1800 rpm's. My cyl
head temps were "normal" ranging from 300-400 degrees F depending on
terrain. After the short hauls around town, my oil temp was a good 215
deg. F, and the long ones 250 deg F plus! You could imagine my concern! I
looked at where the oil cooler was mounted, and the jerks mounted it rite
above the tranny! At first I bypassed the cooler, to see if it was
cooling the oil or heating it, and the temp lowered to a long haul temp
of about 215 deg F. So, I decided a shabby, non-permanent mounting  of
the cooler to the front axle beam was necessary to determine what
"correct" placement of the cooler would do. Since the move, my temps have
NEVER gone much above 180 deg F!!  NEVER put the cooler anywhere but in
direct air, and especially over the tranny.
Still, I have the problem with the oil pressure. True, it might take more
time to get to the point of 1 or 2 psi at idle, but not too much longer.
My local parts guy, who has a 64 crew cab with a 2110 and no external oil
cooler says that his engine (rebuilt the same time as mine) runs at 45-60
psi on the highway, and 10-20 psi at idle, but just not on hot days. He
says my oil pressure is not supposed to be that low, and something sounds
fishy. I think it might be one of the two plungers (I have a newer case),
either the oil bypass plunger or the oil pressure plunger. The shop that
built my motor doesn't seem to want to offer an answer, so I'm putting it
to all of you. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Nathaniel Miller
'66 squareback
'75 beetle

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]