RE: Air conditioning in T3s?

James,
With today's advances you can put a compressor on the engine and suffer
a much
lower hp loss than back in "the good ol' days".  Going to an A/C shop
will find
you a modern compressor that requires much less of an hp drain, and
strain, on
the engine making the use of A/C in our cars a realistic function.

However (don't ya just hate those!), finding an original under dash unit
isn't
too easy.  Everything else for the system can be made at an A/C shop.
The
average price appears to be about $1500.  As an FYI, I found a complete
A/C
system on a Square in a junkyard and removed everything myself (except
hoses,
I'd rather get new ones!) and it cost me $150.  We're talking the dash
unit,
compressor with engine mounting bracket, crank pulley, fan shrouding and
condenser (which fits between the spare tire and torsion housing).
Since you
can get a reasonable looking non-stock evaporator (under dash unit) I
wouldn't
pay more than $50-$75 for a stock unit unless 1) you just GOTTA have it,
and/or
2) it's still in its original, unopened packing box :)

My three cents,
   Toby Erkson
   '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone out there actually has such a unit
installed and just how well (or poorly) it works. I always assumed the
extra strain on the engine would make air conditioning undesirable
(since it would presumably kill your engine much sooner and rob HP), but
maybe I'm wrong?