Air conditioning in T3s?

I was quite surprised to find that there was actually an air
conditioning system specifically designed for Type 3s (check out this
URL for the images of the actual literature):

http://ebus.simplenet.com/Volkswagen/type3/literature/manuals/literaturet3airconditioning.htm

(These are also some great Notchback/Type 3 links to complement the
type3.org site):

http://ebus.simplenet.com/Volkswagen/

http://www.ixpres.com/hedges/nona.html

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone out there actually has such a unit
installed and just how well (or poorly) it works. I always assumed the
extra strain on the engine would make air conditioning undesirable
(since it would presumably kill your engine much sooner and rob HP), but
maybe I'm wrong? I ask because I would LOVE to install A/C in my '68
Notch (it gets extremely hot for long periods in the part of Australia I
live in), and I'm interested in any option to get A/C. I'd be interested
in comments/feedback on this topic.....

James Kramer
Brisbane, Australia
'68 Type 3 Notchback