RE: Heat

Toby:  "are the cooling flaps installed?"

What are "cooling flaps"?  Do you mean the things at the front end,
('front means front"-JM)  of the heat exchanges or is it something else,
like near the muffer?

HEADER RAPPING:  somebody asked about my experiences, Here goes: My
exteral oil filter is mountered near the #3 header exust tube,  I believed
it was heating the oil filter and hence the over all oil temp.  I went to
the auto parts store and bought fifteen feet of header rap (it's a heavy
duty fiberglass tape).  I wrapped almost the whole fifteen feet around #3
tube, nice and tight, overlapping wraps, hose clamped extra tight so not
to move.
Results:  Before, when the engine was hot, If i spat on the header tube
the spit would vaporize and roll off.  Now, with it wrapped,  when the
engine is hot I can stip on #3 tube and the spit just sort of sits there
and slowly disipates.
	I don't have a temp guage, so i cann't give precice before/ after
results.  But i do have a cheap GB stubbie temp sensor on the oil cooler,
and now when the engine is hot, it doesn't "turn" as much.
	But the ReaL reason my motor was running hoter was the close
proximity of the filter to the header, I do believe that the engine
compartment temp may be a couple of degrees lower, but engine compartment
gets a lot of ventelation while your moving, i was more conerned w/ the
oil temp.

I hope that helped,
or atleast didn't hurt.

ned