T3: RE: oil filter location

If you look at the images on my web page you can see where I had it
mounted.  Actually, it was fairly safe from road debris as I have mud flaps
and it was up high enough.  The after-market exhaust header protected it
somewhat.  I had absolutely no fear of dislodging it from bottoming out
because if I did bottom it out the following damages would've occurred as
well:  Total destruction of my 1.5qt. oil sump; exhaust header ripped from
engine; nasty mangling of sheetmetal around rear apron and side fenders;
other assorted engine damage when a bottoming out occurs :p

The new mount, which I will show pictures of once I put the engine back in
(after the new tranny comes), just puts the filter up a little higher out
of the way, which will make it less visible once I get a new rear apron,
and over toward the center of the engine (not flush with the bumper mount
as before) to keep the oil lines from rubbing on other components and
keeping the tension of the lines down.

I will be putting a heat shield between the filter and mount.  This will
keep the exhaust header heat and engine cooling heat (there's an oxymoron)
from heating up the filter (sort of a problem before).

The filter is definitely vertical with the opening of the filter facing UP.

This makes removal/installation of the filter much less messy!
    Toby Erkson
    '72 VW Squareback 1.6L bored and stroked to 2.0L
    '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member