Re: Typ34 resto questions

PhilipS=> Both cars that I'm looking at have substantial rust on the
=> rockers and wheel wells.  Would it be worthwhile trying to have a
=> body shop fix it (I don't have a clue about welding, although I
=> suppose I could learn), or should I just keep looking for a car
=> without the rust?

Welcome to Typ34 land! From the perspective of a year and a half
restoring one of these, I'd say keep looking *if* you don't mind going
national. There are a lot of good cars available for not much money. The
Registry ads are your best source. I wish I'd been a member before I
bought my car.

=> Does anyone know if replacement sheet metal is available?

I bought a set of rocker repair panels and had them shipped from England
for more than they cost, but over the years the metal had relaxed and it
was not an easy fit. I still have the complete left one if you're
interested, but if the outer skin is that bad the structure is probably
threatened and you'll need more serious metal work. Most of the sheet
metal we see for sale is cut from donor cars.

=> does it share (parts) with other Type IIIs (or any other VW)?

Larry got it right. The funny thing is you have to stay alert -- you
never know when you'll run across a crossover part. Like the window
scrapers you can adapt from those for Bug convertibles.

=> Is there a workshop manual for the Type 34?

Yup. Join the Registry and help us get the repro manual going again.

=> I've never done anything like a body-off resto before, so any
=> pointers would be appreciated.

My best pointer is that if the car really needs it, find a better car and
save yourself a *lot* of hassle and expense. Also if the car's ever been
hit, you may never get the body to fit the pan again. Bugs are a lot
different and a lot easier, for many reasons.

If you're determined, spouse, space, time and money are all big
considerations. Have you got a two-place garage you can spread parts out
in undisturbed for a couple of years? Are you prepared to spend twice
what you can hope to sell it for? 34s are great cars, no question, but
you have to be nuts to restore one. Like me.

GusG=> what are the years of the Type 34 Ghia??

It was the top of the VW line from '62 to '69.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KGhia 1600 (rolling soon, I swear!)