T3: Re: PLEASE, NEED HELP ASAP, CAR DIED & HAVE TO GO TO WORK TOMORR

At 2:20 PM +0000 3/8/98, northaven@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>We determined that the pressure
>switch is working as it was designed to (whether or not its design is
>compatable with my car is another question).  We took it for a test

	Pressure switches (under the right side intake manifold) appear
only on 1968 and 1969 cars; I doubt that they changed from 68 to 69, though
I could be wrong.

	(All of 'em have pressure *sensors* to the left of the engine;
early, mid ['70 & '71] and late; all have throttle position sensors, but
'68 & '69 are the same--or at least should appear to be.)

>drive and almost didn't make it back.  It lost so much compression
>trying to come back it was probably only running on 1 or 2
>cylinders....we forced it back and are back at square one...help?

	Careful with language!  Lost power, yes; but can only tell if it
lost compression if you do a proper compression test (shoving a compression
tester gauge where the spark plugs should be).

	If you can get it to just idle, you can pull plug wires, removing
one at a time & then reinstalling.  If you pull a wire, the engine should
run worse.  If it does *not* run worse, then there is a problem associated
with that cylinder (plug/wire/injector/valves/etc.).

	Note that with the injected car, you can pull injector wires in
turn instead of pulling the high-voltage ignition wires.  Less chance of
shock.

	By the way--poorly connected/connecting injection system electrical
connectors can cause the car to run *miserably*.  The ones I've had the
most problems with are the individual injector connectors and the one on
the trigger points in the distributor.

-Greg
'69 & '71 Squarebacks
'63 Beetle