Re: PLEASE, NEED HELP ASAP, CAR DIED & HAVE TO GO TO WORK TOMORR

At 12:37 PM +0000 3/8/98, northaven@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>When I reach freeway speeds it will sometimes be fine for a little
>bit, but then will experience progressively worse power losses until
>the car is just gasping to remain running.

	When it's losing power is it still fairly smooth, or does it cut in
& out, in & out?  I have had worn distributor shafts that have made for
very erratic behavior.  You could check for this by pulling the cap &
rotor, and try wiggling from side to side the shaft that the rotor was on.
(Note that it should *rotate* a bit for the advance mechanism, but not
wobble in such a way as to open & close the points.)

>Is it possible my pressure switch is bad if it is giving the reverse

	I don't know (from other independent sources besides Muir) what the
electrical response of this switch should be when it's good.  It *may* be
that Muir has things reversed.  Note that "high vacuum" corresponds to the
throttle completely or mostly closed (like when cruising on the highway)
and low vacuum--no suction--corresponds to flooring the gas pedal.

	Note that the pressure switch, only on early cars, helps tell the
brain when you've floored the gas pedal so that it can enrich the
mixture--that is, hold the injectors open a bit longer.  Kind of like a
carb's accelerator pump.  In 1970+ models, this function is incorporated
into a fancier throttle position switch that measures "flooring the gas
pedal" a bit more directly.  That's why later cars both have no pressure
switch and different throttle position sensors.

	You might look to other portions of the system that influence
mixture--that is, injector duration.  This includes both temperature
sensors--the one on the intake air distributor and the one on the left
head.  These are little semiconductor devices whose resistance *decreases*
as temperature goes up.  If one of these sensors is disconnected, then that
will be a very high resistance--that is, the brain will think that things
are very cold, so it will enrich the mixture by holding the injectors open
longer each time.  (I don't know if they more typically fail by giving zero
or infinite resistance...)

	Are your spark plugs getting fouled due to too much gas, or are
they nice & tan?  Has your mileage changed drastically?

	Also, the manifold pressure sensor, the main gauge of the amount of
air entering the engine, can cause all sorts of problems if faulty.

>I have new plugs, cap, rotor, points, condensor, coil, etc....

	How new?  And have you double-checked the timing and dwell (point
gap) *today*?  Probably not your problem, but you really need to confirm
these before proceding with injection diagnosis.

>could it be my fuel injectors themselves?

	If you've done the Muir inspection, then you've confirmed that the
resistance of each one is a few Ohms.  Mine typically read about six Ohms,
measured at the harness.  One text indicates a maximum tolerance of 25
Ohms.  Other possible problems with the injectors include leaky injectors
or clogged/uneven spray patterns.  I don't think that anything you've told
us would point directly to a problem with the injectors.

	When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter, near the fuel
pump under the front end?  (Don't put a regular cheap one here--the correct
one is required, and costs about $6 or $8.)

	Press on!  Good luck!

-Greg
'69 & '71 Squarebacks
'63 Beetle