Re: Large Problems

On  6 Mar 98 at 12:02, Boyd Drew wrote:

> I just finished having this problem with the super beetle that I built an engine
> for.  I am guessing that the smoke came from your generator.  I recommend
> replacing both generator and Voltage regulator then make sure you "POLARIZE" the
> generator before starting the car.  I threw away 90.00 on a rebuilt generator by
> not polarizing it.

Polarizing a generator is one of the most misunderstood items in
automotive mechanics.  It is only necessary if certain parts ot the
generator have been disassembled and not necessarily put back
together in their original places (specifically the field pole
pieces.)  In order to test the generator after rebuilding it, it must
be polarized correctly, so the only way that a rebuild might need
polarizing is to do a major rebuild and not test it.  I don't think
any responsible rebuilder would do this.  Certainly Bosch rebuilds
come out of the box tested and properly polarized.

There is no harm in redoing the polarizing, but there is a
significant hazard that someone will do it wrong and screw it up.  I
avoid suggesting this procedure to the uninitiated if at all
possible.  I have only had to do it once in 25 years, and that was on
a car which the owner had installed the battery backwards.

Jim