T3: Re: Introduction; Tranny removal tips; Lining up

On  6 Mar 98 at 9:31, Steven Ayres wrote:

> TobyE=> Looking through my Bentley I see that they recommend that I drop
>      => the engine and tranny together.
>
> One of VW's advertising points for the T3 when it was introduced was
> that the engine, transaxle and rear suspension all ride on a separate
> subframe that can be easily pulled out.  It's intriguing to imagine
> dropping the entire drive train in one operation: wires and cables,
> brake lines, rear engine mount, four bolts on the front subframe
> reinforcement plate, five bolts to the body and the whole thing falls
> out. Has anybody here ever made use of this feature?

I never saw this but for the early swing axle cars it makes sense.
I've never tried it.

> RobertRebel=> a tool to line up the splines on the engine with the shaft on
>            => the transmission?
>
> I've done a fair number of engine installs and never needed anything
> like this. If your clutch disk is centered right, the splines will find
> their seats on their own.

Steve is right, but I think what Robert meant was is there a tool to
line up (center up) the driven disk in the flywheel.  There is a tool
for this and it is VERY useful.  It is what you use to get the driven
disk "centered right."

Jim