T3: Re: Large Problems

I just finished having this problem with the super beetle that I built an engine
for.  I am guessing that the smoke came from your generator.  I recommend
replacing both generator and Voltage regulator then make sure you "POLARIZE" the
generator before starting the car.  I threw away 90.00 on a rebuilt generator by
not polarizing it.  Look around the holes of your generator for any
discoloration to verify that that is where the smoke came from.  It sounds
exactly like my problem though.  You might try replacing the regulator and hope
that your generator is still good before shelling out the big bucks for the
generator.

Boyd Drew