T3: Re: RE: intake manifold polishing

On  5 Mar 98 at 8:43, Boyd Drew wrote:

> Jeff I have to disagree.  Although your offering does sould (and I beleive it
> is) solid, I do not think that it applies in a vacuum which the intake system is
> under.  If that was the case dont you think that these really smart race people
> (which I am not) would have discovered this point on their dynos and head flow
> machines and whatnot??  I have read article after article on p0olishing intakes
> and match porting to improve the airflow and have seen actual dyno testing to
> prove the result.

Porting and match porting bring real benefits.  I don't think there
is any disagreement about this.  It is only the intake polishing that
I question.  I suspect that it just got started because it was so
obvious that it "had to be true" yet is one of those oddities that
might turn out just the opposite.  The term "ported and polished" has
gotten into our language so deeply that we are seldom willing to
question it, yet it is only through these questions that progress
will be made.

Jim