T3: Re: intake manifold polishing

>On  4 Mar 98 at 6:09, John R. Jetty wrote:
>
>> has any one ever polished the inside of there manifold??? I want to try to
>> clean it up and seeing as I am just waiting on my Bankruptcy to get
>> finished ( singing the paper work Thursday being filed Friday ).
>> The inside of the manifold is s rough I think it would help immensely but
>> how do I do it ?????
>
>I have heard that a rough intake manifold promotes turbulence which
>is a good thing.  It helps the fuel/air mixture to mix more
>thoroughly.  It is still a good idea to take the sharp corners off
>the bends and do other things which promote better breathing.
>
>The exhaust manifold is a good thing to polish as this minimizes heat
>loss to the walls.
>
>Jim

"...a rough intake manifold promotes turbulence which
>is a good thing. "

I'm not so sure about this.  If this is so then why do racers want the
intakes, valves, and even the interior throats of carbs polished???

Air volume at a higher rate!

Rough pipes decrease the flow velocity of the air which makes the engine
starve for fuel mixture right?  I can see the "rough causes mixture" in
theory, but if this is so, wouldn't VW have added a texture to the pipe?

And for polishing the exhaust manifold... Where?  Do you mean the interior
of the heater boxes? I am unclear as to the location you mean.

Big Al

"The rarest-of-the-rare Volkswagens"
Type 3 Cabriolet Prototype Project
http://www.autographica.com/t3cpp.html