T3: Re: Rear Wheel Problem

On  4 Mar 98 at 14:52, Taylor, Jeff wrote:

> Hey all.....I haven't had any problems really to date.....but today I
> got one.  Driving into work today I noticed a vibration in the left rear
> wheel.  It actually made a wobble noise that made me look out the window
> to see if the wheel was falling off.  Happy to say.....it wasn't.  Next
> it began to make brake noises while coming to stop...not sure if that's
> related.  I'm still at work....I made it....but I haven't been able to
> get to the car yet.  I'll look at it after work....but does anyone have
> suggestions to the problem?  I figured wheel bearing or possibly CV
> joint or both.  Well...that's my dilemma!  Any suggestions?

If the brake drum is hot after driving then it is a brake problem, if
there is wheel wobble in the wheel when it is jacked up then it is
bearings, if your CV boots are torn, then it may be the CV joint.

> Oh yeah.....also......someone before me put in a Type1 gas tank.  If I
> drive at highway speed for lets say.....2hours....it stalls because of a
> vacuum in the tank.  I thought I ran out of gas.....but it turned out I
> needed to take off the gas cap and release the pressure.  Any
> suggestions on getting rid of that problem too?

The steel breather lines rust on the inside until they no longer
breathe.  You can replace them with rubber hose or bulk steel brake
line.  Later cars used a plastic line in some places, much better
idea.

Jim