correct trans oil?

In the process of doing a trans oil change, and am wondering if the 85w140
that I have sitting around will satisfy the recommended 90w of the
manuals.  What color should this stuff be as it comes out?  Mine was
pretty black, and the drain plug was covered with small metal bits.  The
trans performs perfectly, by the way.  I hope that I didn't drain out some
magic fluid.

Thanks,
Bryan